[Tango-L] Leading and following

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) patangos at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 3 14:28:28 EDT 2006

--- Alexis Cousein <al at sgi.com> wrote:

If the leader doesn't leave room for backleads, then they
can't be led, and it is just as inexcusable for a lady to
try to bend the will of a leader with an iron fist as it is
for a leader to ignore the follower.

On the other hand, some leaders *will* leave some room for
followers to back lead, and I don't see followers who step
in to surprise leaders at the right moment as competing
with them.
---

Hi Alexis,

Sean here. You have been very productive this morning. You
have given us lots to think about.

In the above case, I think that we may not use the term
"back leading" to mean the same thing. In my case, I would
not consider it back leading if I were to indicate a
movement, and the woman response felt like "Hmmm, that
might be interesting, but what will you do if I go here
instead?" and leaves me a choice in the matter. Of course,
none of this is spoken, and it happens above the level of
consciousness. To me, this is just dancing together.

Back leading on the other hand feels like the woman
shouting "NO! WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU THINKING? I AM GOING
HERE, AND YOU WILL COMPLY!" This of course interrupts the
dance and forces the man back into conscious awareness.

Sean