[Tango-L] Leading and following

Chris, UK tl2 at chrisjj.com
Mon Jul 3 07:11:00 EDT 2006

Tom wrote:

> Really? You're kidding!
>
> You really have got to get out more... try different followers or
> other cities?

Well, if there really are cites where this is the norm:

>>> I am sure every guy on this list has had an invitation
>>> changed by a "normal" dancer.  The guy thinks he invited a
>>> forward step and she answers it as a back step.

(in addition to Pittsburgh USA) then thanks but no thanks.

I've only ever found that kind of stuff in the pupils of beginner teachers
who've misunderstood the notion of dialog to mean: guy says which step to
do and girl answers with the nearest match she finds in her programmed
vocabulary of class steps, or if she's really creative (i.e. not), a
different step entirely. These are the "ochos in lesson #2" class teachers
who teach 'what to dance' (e.g. step patterns) before or even instead of
instead of 'how to dance' (e.g. connection) and often really have no idea
of the difference between the pattern-dance imitation tango that results,
and real tango.

> OBVIOUSLY:
> EVERY TIME a woman dances with a leader she enables or disables his
> dance (i.e. THEIR dance), by her skill, technique, axis-control,
> musicality, personality, energy, or lack of any of these things. [etc.]

Sure, but (OBVIOUSLY) that happens through simultaneous and continuous
connection, not dialog.

> If she doesn't have the ability to execute turns, then the leader
> might not lead turns.

The good leader /will/ not lead turns - no 'might' about it.

Chris