[Tango-L] Leading and following

Alexis Cousein al at sgi.com
Mon Jul 3 06:31:48 EDT 2006

Sergio Vandekier wrote:
> I am really interested in knowing the meaning of all this because to
> tell you the truth I never so a woman to refuse to follow a lead so far.
> I wonder if the vocabulary utilized (suggest, invite, instead of lead)
> is out of courtesy so that the follower feel better or if it really it
> has some other meaning.

It does. "Suggest" suggests [sic] that the leader is actually
*listening* the the follower's response, and aware of where she
stands and how she moves, and then tries to move in harmony,
leading throughout the dance (and throughout each step).

Yes, leaders do exist that simply "lead" and see it as the follower's
job to end up *precisely* where they intend her to end up, with the
timing they want. They also tend to lead only the beginning of any
steps (after which "by now she should have gotten it"), making that
well nigh impossible to achieve for a good follower.

Alexis Cousein                                al at sgi.com
Solutions Architect/Senior Systems Engineer   SGI
--
Bad grammar makes me [sic].