[Tango-L] Top 10 reasons Inflation Hurts

Lois Donnay donnay at donnay.net
Sat Dec 9 19:03:40 EST 2006

10. Multi-visiting tango teacher has to eat soup instead of steak.
9.  First-time visitor finds she can only afford 5 pairs of Comme Il Fauts
instead of 6.
8.  Lesson addict can only take two private lessons per week instead of
three.
7.  Female tango dancer tries to get her own dances and sits a lot instead
of paying for a taxi dancer.
6.  European has to stay at Porteno y Bailarin instead of taking the
expensive cab ride to La Viruta.
5.  Women tourists has to learn to take the subway instead of the taxi
4.  Group leader doesn't take the group to Sunderland because it's too far
away
3.  Tourists stop using people like Janis to take them to milongas, and make
multiple faux pas.
2.  Argentines can no longer afford lessons
1.  Argentines can no longer afford to go dancing

In my opinion, the lack of Argentines at the milongas and lessons is beyond
tragic. Awhile back, some people were upset that there was a two tiered
price system, and Argentines got a price break. How much worse if they are
just not there?

Last Friday I went to a milonga where I was the only non-Argentine. It was
very fun, and very informative. They were delighted to have me, played a set
of Elvis for me, the teachers gave me a private lesson in Canyengue and I
taught them some swing, the dancing was simple and authentic, and there
wasn't a pair of Comme Il Fauts in the place. The level of creativity in the
clothing and shoes was incredible. My intention was to go to Gricel that
night, but I elected to stay and I'm not sorry.

Lois
Minneapolis