Re: [Tango-L] Tourists, porteños, plata plata pl ata

Nina Pesochinsky nina at earthnet.net
Sat Dec 9 18:00:33 EST 2006

Hello, everyone.

Deby has described an accurate picture.  One thing that is different
in Argentina than in the US is that many people survive on very small
amounts of money by living together, like the families do (what a
novel idea!) or groups of friends/roommates. The culture is much more
community oriented than the American culture that prizes rugged
individualism.  For many people, it is almost impossible to survive
in Buenos Aires while living alone and many, many people ended up on
the streets.  Especially old people who have no families.

With all the modern conveniences, Argentina remains a third world
country with excellent public transportation.  The economic tragedy
does not unfold as a national picture.  Instead, it uniquely unfolds
in each life, wrapped in specific context that often dictates
conditions where there is NOTHING a person can do to better his or
her situation.

In regard to money, it is a symbol of energy exchange.  Tango
tourists do not just go to BsAs and leave their money, which then
goes into some kind of a vacuum.  They give money to someone and get
something in return.  This something can be just an experience -
something you cannot touch or measure, but you can feel it.  What can
be better than the experience of Buenos Aires?!  And an experience
that is so rich that it changes and transforms us every time.  I see
it as an investment in one's own self.

The other thing is that tango cannot be bought or sold.  Only things
that surround it, things that are not the tango but about tango.

Kindest regards to all,

Nina