[Tango-L] Master Orlanda Paiva

Neeraj Korde nkorde at gmail.com
Tue Dec 5 19:12:57 EST 2006

Hi all,
Orlando Paiva's was the first tango video I saw. I would totally agree that
his style totally deserves to be called 'elegant tango'. Characterised by a
slow suspended walk where he almost seems to float on the floor as if it
were made of ice, his elegance still continues to inspire me. As was pointed
out in his obituary - 'Orlando emphasised not being tempted by figures but
to improve the walk.' And that's exactly what I will remember him for.
Regards,
Neeraj

On 12/5/06, Barbara Garvey <barbara at tangobar-productions.com> wrote:

> Thanks Richard,
> I have been waiting for reaction to the news of Orlando's death.
> It seems particularly sad to me that Orlando Paiva's legacy is known and
> appreciated by so few of today's dancers. Since his health made
> extensive traveling, even trips to Buenos Aires from Rosario, difficult,
> Orlando's students and public were mostly limited to Rosario, California
> and Santiago de Chile. Like Finito Ribera who died in 1987 just as the
> tango revival began, hardly anyone now active has the memory of tango at
> this  level of astounding elegance, of technique personally honed
> without professional dance training. In discussions contrasting stage
> and "milonguero" style tango, the quest for perfection and creativity
> within social dance context is in danger of being lost.
> Barbara
>
> www.tangobar-productions.com
>

> richard simoni wrote:
>
> >A Sad Loss Indeed,
> >The tango world has indeed lost its most elegant dancer - - this
> >giant of a tango dancer and teacher has and had no peer.
> >His legacy stands alone as seen by the number of outstanding students
> >of his style, grace, and elegance surviving him. This was a kind and
> >gentle man.
> >The Almighty poured his grace on him and may He continue to do so.
> >Richard T. Simoni

नीरज कोरडे