[Tango-L] IV Campeonato Mundial -- how the pre-championships are organized in foreign countries

Gabriella C. Marino gcmarino at iol.it
Thu Aug 24 08:44:46 EDT 2006

One thing I know about the Campeonato rules in Italy, where they held
Salon and Escenario rounds in the North, Centre and South with a
winner for each of these areas going to Buenos Aires for the
competition, is that if there was only one couple in the round (it
happened) and the Argentinian judges considered them not to be
skilled enough for the Semifinals in Buenos Aires, they were told
they HAD to choose that couple anyway because there HAD to be a
winning couple for the north, one for the centre and one for the
south both for Salon and Escenario. I understand that they wanted
everyone in the whole of Italy to have the same chance to take part
without having to travel too far but I don't understand why they
didn't have a final round with the three winners of the Salon rounds
and the three winners from the Escenario rounds to send just one
couple per category to the Semifinals in Buenos Aires. Except for the
variety in levels, it's not that the tango in the north differs in
style from the one in the south etc.
Also, the organizers here chose as judges Argentinian maestros who
already happened to be in Italy at the time of the pre-championship.

Saluti,

Gabriella
Italy