[Tango-L] IV Campeonato Mundial

astrid astrid at ruby.plala.or.jp
Wed Aug 23 11:42:52 EDT 2006

I just discovered the third couple from Luna de Tango, Tokyo, is also among
the semifinalists. I asked Laura tonight what went wrong with Sebastian, and
she said, nothing, but he is completing for his hometown and they signed up
as an Argentine couple. Here they are:

Kuwamoto Chizuko
 Bianchi Sebastian Matias
 Campana

She told me, from the number of points the semifinalists scored, Sebastian
actually had the highest, Gonzalo was second and Manuel was third.

Janis wrote:
Pre-championship winners from each country do not have to dance in two days
of qualifying rounds before two different panels of judges in Buenos Aires.
They begin competing in the semifinal rounds

As far as I know, the Tanadas and the other Japanese couple, Mikage and
Arisa, scored in the Asian championships that were held in Tokyo. Jose Luna
and Juan Guida, instructors based in Tokyo, were among of the judges, but
also Sergio Cortazzo, I think. The couples from Luna de Tango are competing
with everyone in the first round. The photo of the Tanadas in the Clarin was
taken last year, she said.

Janis:
Tango dancers from foreign countries have been investing their time and
money to come to the Campeonato Mundial de Baile de Tango for four years.
>It's about time their investment pays off with foreign champions this year.

If you had followed the championships for tango escenario, you would know
that two years ago the first prize was taken by a Korean couple. They
stopped by in Tokyo on their way home and gave a demo at the milonga here.
Quite impressive, super smooth dancing. And naturally, more passionate than
Japanese dancers. The Koreans are outspoken Continental meat eaters, after
all. ; )

But we will see who wins this year.
I discussed this with my artist friend tonight, and she told me, in art
contests, certain famous painters are contacted by the organisers and asked
to submit their paintings to the contest. They are the ones who later
collect the prices, giving the contest it's prestigious name, but the rest
of the artists finance the show for them. And, as I suspected earlier today,
the really interesting winners are the ones who score from place # 11 and
below...

Last year, Fabio Robles and Ana from Melbourne were on place 14. I once took
lessons with him when I visited Australia. He had danced from the age of 5,
and is a great tango and malambo dancer. But he is not competing this year,
it seems.

Astrid