[Tango-L] What Does It Take to Dance Tango?

Chris, UK tl2 at chrisjj.com
Wed Aug 23 10:00:00 EDT 2006

"Lois Donnay" <donnay at donnay.net>

> I feel it is very unfair of you to be so angry at teachers for this

Please do not mistake being critical for being angry.

> teachers are the ones who have to deal with students who come to them
> with these problems.

Why not leave that to the teachers responsible for creating the problems
in the first place?

You choose whether each student is worth the money he/she pays for
lessons. If you don't want to teach a particular student, just don't.

> think about my level of frustration when students come to me to
> advance their tango ... they know front ochos, molinetes, giros,
> secadas - all executed badly. ... When I tell them they have to start
> over with the walk, and they storm out

Sometimes one has to just accept that some problems are beyond one's
ability to fix. Or would take up time, effort and energy better spend on
other students.

Quite a few teachers I know see each loss of an impossible student to
the competition as a good thing - it benefits the rest of the class and
raises the effectiveness of teaching.

> I sympathize with the teacher who just gives students what they
> want - it's so much easier!

Thing is Lois, what goes around comes around.

Chris