[Tango-L] Campeonato Mundial de Baile de Tango

macfroggy@aol.com macfroggy at aol.com
Tue Aug 22 09:00:21 EDT 2006

Dear Daniel,

I don't know if you read my posting last Saturday about my
participation in the Finals of the Campeonato Metropolitano de Tango?
Because the city competition leads into the Mundial this week, I am
supposing the way it is conducted is the same.

My Argentine partner and I qualified for the Metropolitano last May,
along with more than 500 other couples, in various milongas throughout
BsAs. There were booklets and a website with all the rules, including
the judges criteria for scoring. However during the qualifications, and
then the semifinals, and the finals in which we danced, people seemed
to dance however they wanted, heedless of the stated rules. Ruben and I
followed them--feet on floor, continuous movement, no movement out of
the embrace, etc.--but when few of the final 16 (we were among them)
danced like that, including the winners, we said, "Hey, we could have
danced that way also!"
No, there's no way to know how we were judged. The highest and lowest
scores were thrown out, but we don't know who or by whom they were
given, or for what.

Did I learn anything from competing? Not really. But I had fun. That's
all I can tell you. I do feel there is a bias against foreigners, as
Argentines always win (I was the only foreigner in the semifinals and
the tango finals, and maybe that cost us points, I don't know.)

So if you think it'd be fun, go for it! If you think you'll learn to
dance better, forgetaboutit. It is SO subjective, as is any arts
contest.
Good luck!

Cherie Magnus