[Tango-L] What Does It Take to Dance Tango?

steve pastor tang0man2005 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 21 11:12:02 EDT 2006

How many times have you heard girls say:
  "Just give me a good partner and I can follow anything - even the most complicated steps."
  Or- "A girl doesn't have to know very much about dancing. That's the man's business."
  The answer is: Buck-passing isn't any better in dancing than in anything else. Ballroom dancing is definitely a give-and-take affair in which each partner should
  contribute to the other's pleasure. And the minute a girl accepts an invitation to step
  on the dance floor, she assumes an equal share of the responsibility.

  The above is from page 24 in the 1947 Revised Edition of "How to Become A Good
  Dancer" by Arthur Murray. Substitute Argentine Tango for "Ballroom" of course.

  P.S. No mention of West Coast Swing, Western Swing, Sophisticated Swing or Rock
  and Roll Dancing in this edition! But there is a seciton on Jitterbug and Lindy Hop.