[Tango-L] Tango music

TangoDC.com spatz at tangoDC.com
Thu Aug 17 15:20:36 EDT 2006

Hello everyone,

PATRICK CROTTY wrote:
> <schnip> Composers and musicians make music. Social partnered dancers _pick and choose_ some musical genre to dance. The dancers _then_ create a dance genre they think and feel reflects and is in harmony with the music. <schnap> [emphasis mine]
I more or less agree with the Later thrust of this post, but This Part
Here is quite a mis-statement of actual history, and music/dance
creation. You think Any music, or any art (for that matter), has ever
been made in a market-proof vacuum? You think these things are isolated
in history or in place? You think music creators are one camp, dancers
another, and the populace a third?

There's always an interplay between extant traditions, past traditions,
and innovations; and all that is usually directed by popular demand
(dance halls and producers, not to mention radio stations). You've got
it rather backward. Nowadays, for instance, people look at the music of
John Cage as some kind of ivory-tower thing, created ex nihilo; and yet
his prepared-piano pieces were commissioned For A Dance Troupe, and one
with a paying audience.

Actual tango history:

early 1930s-- The tango had moved into 4/4, was for crooners, and the
dance floors were filled with chairs. Things had gotten rather
bourgeois. The Decarian school was developing its innovations, many of
which fueled the developments in crooner tango and in concert tango. It
was lucrative for more than a few.

1937-- D'Arienzo reverts tangos to 2/4 (the old milonga tempo). The
people respond to his change, _unless they prompted it in the first
place_. Either way, the chairs leave. In consequence, he keeps it
coming. Workaday orchestras are forced to adapt if they want gigs,
because dancers want dance music. Some extreme tango snobs still despise
D'Arienzo for this, I've heard. (Some people never catch up, which
you're right about, Patrick.)

Both of these trajectories in tango history were important, and both
were equally fueled by (a) money and (b) popular demand. There's a whole
Other tradition of tango music for crooners out there, which is still
alive and loved. Dancers often ignore this rather huge current in the
river. It, however, seems to have fared much better than dance music did
in the wake of 60s rock.

But as far as I know, if we consider the dark prehistorical days of
tango-- the dance (not that we'd recognize it today) seems to have
preceded the music. At least, that's a minor part of the argument put
forward by R.F. Thompson...

Also, with regard to the recent sneers at, and support for, concert
tango music: That's another current as well, which is part of tango
culture as a whole. I personally blow my nose on much (not all) of it
_qua music_, because I think it sucks. I find excessive violin vibrato
(the norm these days among soloists) intolerable. But if people want to
dance to it, what do I care? And if live bands, influenced by that
tradition, play at some milonga you attend, what do you care?

DJs playing stuff like that is, of course, an entirely different
matter... they ought to do what they're hired for, in my opinion.

In any case, dance music (and dancing) is only one part of the whole.
Gardel and El Arranque (just for example) are other parts. I mean, just
because people don't usually dance to Miles Davis and Sinatra (or maybe
they do, I don't know) doesn't mean that their work isn't a vital part
of jazz.

Jake Spatz
DC