[Tango-L] Live music

Chris, UK tl2 at chrisjj.com
Wed Aug 16 07:28:00 EDT 2006

Huck wrote

> > But when a dancer is given a task to perform for an audience,
> > Most dancers won't even be able to pass this test, so what
> > position are they in to criticize the musicians?
>
>      Where on Earth did *this* come from.

>From not recognising that social dancers are completely different
animals from show dancers, apparently.

> I prefer dancing live to excellent Golden Age musicians. ...
> Most local bands just aren't tight enough, and they don't have the
> intensity. .... Plus many of them pick the "wrong" music to play.

Quite.

Here's a thought for those seeking to make an objective assessment. Good
DJs play the best music. Ever heard a good DJ play a set of Di Sarli,
Tango Lorca, D'Arienzo, Conjunto Berretin, Canaro, and Trio Garufa?

Yes, live bands has the value of novelty, spontaneity and as Keith put
it a sense of "event", such that no festival would be complete without.
But no, that does not mean their music is good, or even good enough, for
dancing.

Keith also wrote:

> Perhaps there should be more musicality workshops taught by dancers to
> help musicians figure out how to play tango music of today when they
> are hired to play for dancers.

Hear hear.

Thanks too to Tom for an excellent post.

Chris