[Tango-L] music; live or dead

Neil Liveakos neil.liveakos at gmail.com
Sat Aug 12 21:24:25 EDT 2006

All. It seemed for a while there was a tenuous compromise in Denver and
Portland where the live music played early and the DJ played late. The
better dancers would show up late after the ochestras and the performances
and all was well at the milonga. Then the orchestras got better and they
played later and longer and the tenuous balance was lost. I don't think the
orchestras like playing dance music. They prefer the challenge of Piazzola.
My preference would be for them to play a concert early in a concert hall,
not the dance hall. We got to the concert. Then we go to the milonga with DJ
music. What do you think? Neil

On 8/12/06, mallpasso at aol.com <mallpasso at aol.com> wrote:

> Whoa! You've touched a nerve here, Michael. I hope you're wearing a suit
> of armor! LOL
>
> Here in the SF bay area we have about a half dozen or so tango bands
> consisting of duos,
> trios, and two orchestras. Since I don't own a suit of armor I'll be more
> circumspect and just
> mention the ones I enjoy dancing to... ;-)
>
> It took me a while to get accustomed to Trio Garufa, a group consisting of
> a bayan, a guitar,
> and a bass but I've grown to appreciate and accustomed their music. These
> guys (and the
> occasion girl who subs as bass) have been around several years now and
> they are terrific
> musicians, very polished, and they've matured as an ensemble and their
> music is mostly
> danceable - I say mostly because sometimes they enjoy torturing the
> dancers with changing
> rhythms which can drive us crazy... LOL
>
> Incidentally, several weeks ago I happened to be at a milonga in Belmont
> and the guitarist for
> Trio Garufa showed up to play for Negracha (Ines del Valle Cabrera), who
> partners with Diego
> Lanau who sang for us. Oh, wow, what a voice she has!
>
> The SF Tango Orchestra is comprised of three bandoneons, two violins, a
> bass, and an electric
> piano. They're pretty new (a year old?) so while they play some numbers
> well they can get a
> little ragged at times with other songs (especially fast milongas) so it
> will take time for them to
> polish their music, otherwise I predict a great future for them if they
> can stay together.
>
> Then there's the Notable Trio, consisting of a bandoneon, a piano and a
> bass, who have played for
> Nora's Tango Week for several years and they're probably the most classic
> of all the groups and
> their music is danceable all the time.
>

> El Bandido de Tango

Neil Liveakos