[Tango-L] music; live or dead

mallpasso@aol.com mallpasso at aol.com
Sat Aug 12 14:55:56 EDT 2006

 Whoa! You've touched a nerve here, Michael. I hope you're wearing a suit of armor! LOL

 Here in the SF bay area we have about a half dozen or so tango bands consisting of duos,
 trios, and two orchestras. Since I don't own a suit of armor I'll be more circumspect and just
 mention the ones I enjoy dancing to... ;-)

 It took me a while to get accustomed to Trio Garufa, a group consisting of a bayan, a guitar,
 and a bass but I've grown to appreciate and accustomed their music. These guys (and the
 occasion girl who subs as bass) have been around several years now and they are terrific
 musicians, very polished, and they've matured as an ensemble and their music is mostly
 danceable - I say mostly because sometimes they enjoy torturing the dancers with changing
 rhythms which can drive us crazy... LOL

 Incidentally, several weeks ago I happened to be at a milonga in Belmont and the guitarist for
 Trio Garufa showed up to play for Negracha (Ines del Valle Cabrera), who partners with Diego
 Lanau who sang for us. Oh, wow, what a voice she has!

 The SF Tango Orchestra is comprised of three bandoneons, two violins, a bass, and an electric
 piano. They're pretty new (a year old?) so while they play some numbers well they can get a
 little ragged at times with other songs (especially fast milongas) so it will take time for them to
 polish their music, otherwise I predict a great future for them if they can stay together.

 Then there's the Notable Trio, consisting of a bandoneon, a piano and a bass, who have played for
 Nora's Tango Week for several years and they're probably the most classic of all the groups and
 their music is danceable all the time.

 El Bandido de Tango