[Tango-L] Fwd: Dancer Profile in Buenos Aires

Christopher L. Everett ceverett at ceverett.com
Sat Aug 5 05:34:53 EDT 2006

L wrote:
> Thought I'd put in my two cents:
> <snipped>

Heck, as long as we're on this topic, allow me to plug Deby Novitz.  I'm
wrapping up 8 weeks in BA Thursday, and her help and guidance has been
invaluable.

Through her, I've met not just milongueros, but have been exposed to
a large slice of BA life.  I take the bus around town, buy food at the
local
fruiteria and paneteria, knowof several good parillas, and have several
good friends locally.  Not to mention the fact that she knows the shopping
here really well.

Firstimers in BA most likely end up wasting 2/3rds of their time without
this sort of help.  I'm glad I didn't go haring off taking series of
expensive
group classes from name brand instructors, or run around taking two
classes a day from whoever.  Instead, I got about 30 private lessons with
a tippy-top-notch teacher, got my fundamentals more or less in order,
learned a few new things to fill in the holes in my dance, and now I have
something I can be proud of.
> Off the subject to El Bandido de Tango, who wrote: "Watch them dance
> then dance with them for your own evaluation."  It's been my
> experience the best dancers are not necessarily the best
> instructors.  One has to know how to teach and not just how to
> demonstrate steps, it's a whole other ballgame from dancing and/or
> performing.

A good teacher knows their dance, and teaches what they dance.  The best
group classes I've ever taken are Mimi Santapa's technique classes in BA,
and she speaks almost no English.  But she has a talent for conveying what
she does, and lo and behold, ordinary mortals can actually do as she
teaches,
and when they do, the improvement is palpable.