[Tango-L] Everyone's "one of the most respected and well-known dancers in Buenos Aires"

Caroline Polack runcarolinerun at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 3 11:19:09 EDT 2006

I've been doing a lot of browsing on the internet, of various tango schools
and teachers, in North America, and of course Argentina. Is it just me or is
every single teacher "one of the most respected and well-known tango dancers
in Buenos Aires"?

Says who? It's not possible for every single one of them to be "one of  the
best" or there wouldn't any "best" at all. I would like to know who sets the
standards and who exactly is considering those teachers to be "one of the
best" or is there alot of self-proclamation going on?

I see it here too, braggadacio. I was at a Milonga hosted by my tango school
where I was approached by an older man who tried to persuade me to stop
taking lessons at that school and instead learn with him because he is one
of the "best" and had been travelling to Buenos Aires every year for the
last 20 years. Well, so did my tango teachers. I find that to be very bad
manners, to be approached by someone who is trying to convince others not to
take lessons from the teachers hosting the milonga. Competiton can sometimes
be a little too backstabbing for my liking.

So, I am thinking, how does making annual pilgrimages to Argentina
automatically make you the best?

What makes me laugh is when I come across a website that features just one
teacher and they write about themselves in the third person, with all those
effusive reviews of how they are one of the "best in Buenos Aires".

One thing I can say for sure is that generally speaking, most tango teachers
have no lack of self-confidence.