[Tango-L] Always close embrace II

Sergio Vandekier sergiovandekier990 at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 30 16:38:45 EDT 2006

Now we have people that only know how to dance in one or the other style
(open or close embrace).  Discussions started in reference to every aspect
of the dance as the different styles have certain elements that
differentiate them. (technique, goal, etc).

I started then the discussion of different styles in A. Tango. I was
attacked from every corner as every one had reasons to believe that I
favored one style over the others. Many tango instructors felt threatened
feeling that my talking about certain possible choices at the time of taking
lessons was going to cause them to lose students.

Now we have a period when we understand that there are several forms or
styles in which one can dance tango.  The discussion however persists.

Somebody just said that Derik is playing Devil's advocate stimulating a
discussion while as he would say "lol".

I do not think this to be the case I think that he genuinely thinks that he
was cheated by the instructors of 'close embrace tango' the same as the
earlier dancers believed that the instructors of 'open style' had cheated
them.

But you know what ?, nobody was cheated . There are many styles to dance and
every instructor teaches the one he knows.

Among the reasons for preferring a style over another we could consider (now
that we know we have a choice):

a) Age and physical skills:   Everyone should dance according to his age.
An older person should not pretend  to dance like a young one would do.
There are people that dance very fast, doing all sort of skillful moves in a
few seconds and there are others that dance very slowly.

b) Your goal as a dancer:  Do you want to be a social dancer or you have the
goal of becoming a professional, stage tango dancer. Do you want to become a
tango teacher?  While it is possible to do any style socially it is obvious
that close embrace (including canyengue) adapts the best to crowded
milongas. The other styles open embrace salon and nuevo require lots of room
to dance more or less comfortably.

We certainly do not have to dance close embrace because it is done in the
crowded milongas of B.A. when we have lots of room available. We let other
factors determine our preference.

c) It is possible that you tried Open Embrace or Nuevo but finally you
decided that your final preference is Close Embrace.

Many people I know belong to this group. They started dancing Open style,
some are able to do it with excellency but prefer to do close embrace. There
are many others that found open embrace frustrating and very demanding and
ended up finding that close embrace corresponds more with their age,
physical aptitude and spiritual needs.

and a life full of enjoyment and discovery.

As to Derik, I do not know dear Derik,  if you failed to notice, but most
people recently accepted the fact as stated in my summary, they ceased to
argue about which style is superior, you are the only one left.

You may have a valid point: it is best to know many styles so that you can
adapt to every situation.

That is *your* preference, and I think that it is fine but... you should
accept the fact that most people  are perfectly satisfied and happy dancing
only one style. A style that perfectly fulfils all their needs.

Best regards, Sergio