[Tango-L] Where can I find more Milonga at milongas?

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) patangos at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 27 19:05:03 EDT 2006

Martin,
Come to Pittsburgh or one of our nearby communities.
Women here love a good milonga dancer.  Much more than
the men.  If you want more milongas, then just ask the
deejays.  When Susana Miller is here Memorial Day
weekend with Diego Vepes, we're having one or two
milonga classes.

Steve,
I agree with your assessment.  If people have a strong
sense of rhythm in their tango, then they are more
likely to succeed in milonga.  I think this is why
milonguero-style dancers are more comfortable with
milonga than nuevo dancers, based on my personal
experience with dancers of different styles.  It
really seems to be in how people hear the music.
Milonga was always difficult for me until I
continually heard the QQS in tango.

Also, there is a fair amount of alternative music
which one dances more like milonga than a tango.  It's
a nice way of getting beginners used to the moving
faster.

Trini de Pittsburgh

--- Stephen.P.Brown at dal.frb.org wrote:

> As a DJ, I am sensitive to the number of people who
> choose to dance to
> each tanda.  In many communities where I have DJed,
> I find myself playing
> fewer milongas (and candombes) at most of the
> milongas than I myself would
> like to dance to.  I find that I am able to play
> more milongas at tango
> festivals than in most communities--maybe because
> the general level of
> dancing is higher among those who have the
> committment necessary to attend
> a festival.
>
> That makes me wonder if the lack of dancers on the
> floor when milongas are
> being played may have something to do with a general
> lack of milonga or
> rhythm skills in the communities where there isn't
> much milonga dancing.
> Strange as it may seem, milonga classes aren't very
> frequently/widely
> taught.  And in many milonga classes, the
> instructors seem to emphasize
> complex movements over rhythm.
>
> In my own community, the number of people dancing
> milonga increased
> dramatically after a number of us taught very basic
> milonga classes, and
> that allowed me to play more milongas at our
> milongas.
>
> With best regards,
> Steve

Our Mission: To make Argentine Tango Pittsburgh's most popular social dance.
http://www.pitt.edu/~mcph/PATangoWeb.htm