[Tango-L] Asking Someone to Dance

David Hodgson DHodgson at Tango777.com
Wed Apr 26 16:07:00 EDT 2006

Now this is entertaining;

As far as Cabeceo, it is going on all the time. I have been playing with
this for years, it is just in BSAS they made it as part of the dance.

If it is equalizing, and if new comers understand it quickly, It yes and no.
To really work this it take some awareness and not trying to figure it out.
Remember 80 to 95% of communication is non-verbal.

I can not believe this question has arisen about the women asking the men.

David~

-----Original Message-----
From: tango-l-bounces at mit.edu [mailto:tango-l-bounces at mit.edu] On Behalf Of
Stephen.P.Brown at dal.frb.org
Sent: Wednesday, April 26, 2006 1:08 PM
To: tango-l at mit.edu
Subject: [Tango-L] Asking Someone to Dance

How prevalent is the cabeceo at milongas outside Buenos Aires?  Is it used
in only a few communities, or is it widely used throughout the world?

Do newcomers to tango seem to understand the cabeceo quickly enough?

For those using the cabeceo, does it seem to provide an equal opportunity
for both men and women to indicate with whom they want to dance?

How would people feel about attending a milonga where it was announced in
advance that the women would ask the men to dance?

With best regards,
Steve