[Tango-A] NA-C:Susana Miller workshops this weekend, June 6th and 7th

chicagomilonguero chicagomilonguero at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 3 22:38:28 EDT 2009

Susana Miller workshops this weekend, June 6th and 7th

Susana Miller is back in Chicago this weekend, June 6 and 7,  for another series of workshops. We have structured the classes this year for the intermediate and advanced dancer. There will be limited enrollment, so please contact me as soon as possible to see if there is space available if you are planning on attending. We will attempt to gender balance the enrollment so that you can find a partner during the workshops. People that sign up for an individual class will need to sign up with a partner. Saturday evening, June 6th, we plan to have a Black and White Milonga. Friday evening, June 5th, we plan to be at Los Besos Milonguita at Barba Yianni.  Susana Miller will be in Chicago from June 4th through June 11th and will be available for private lessons.

SUSANA MILLER BIO. Susana Miller is the most prominent teacher in the world
today of the "milonguero" style of tango or what Argentines all "apilado." This style is danced in the crowded clubs of central Buenos Aires. It is a strictly social style that emphasizes musicality and the connection between partners. Susana has researched and studied the dancing of the older milongueros, each of whom has created their own unique style of tango. She has been able to decipher their distinct vocabularies and choreographic combinations, and is gifted in her ability to convey these to students.

Susana encourages students to employ more rhythm in their dance, to discover their own dance vocabularies, and to learn how to shape and shrink these in space. For women, she encourages active following, in which the woman interprets the messages that the leader's body and the spirit are sending. Clarin, the major Buenos Aires daily paper, called her one of the four most important influences on contemporary tango, along with Miguel Angel Zotto, Gustavo Naveira and Gerardo Portalea.

SUSANA MILLER JUNE 6 & 7, 2009 WORKSHOPS
Saturday, June 6, 2009
12:00-1:30 A: The Body of a Man is a Bandeon (intermediate & up) Our steps
create the circulation: one step transforms into many others. Corridas (fast steps/run) backwards and forwards. For women: balance in the walk, how to support the feet to avoid pain and gain fluidity.
2:00-3:30 B: Musicality variations (intermediate & up) Musicality and rhythmic variations according to the orchestra.
4:00-5:30 C: Vals (intermediate & up) Technique for balanced turns. Double giro to the right with sacada to the left. Cepillos. For women: The body of the woman is a violin. Balance and fluidity in giros and the backwards ocho.

Sunday, June 7, 2009
12-1:30 D : Milonga (intermediate &up)
• Walking milonga and milonga traspie
• How to dance the fast milongas
2:00-3:30 E: Dancing D'Arienzo (advanced) more advanced work in rhythmic
accents, half-beats and traspie
4:00-5:30 F: Connection, velocity and energy of the turns (advanced)

BLACK AND WHITE MILONGA, SATURDAY, JUNE 6, 9PM-1AM+, hosted by Ray Barbosa,
Valerie Wright and Phoebe Grant, byob,

PRICING AND LOCATION

Entire package: 6 classes and Saturday milonga $150.00
Full time student: 6 classes and Saturday milonga $120.00
Saturday classes $ 80.00
Sunday classes $ 80.00
Individual classes $ 35.00
Milonga only (no discount)$15. 00

All classes and milonga take place at Dance Connection
3117 N. Clybourn, Chicago, Illinois

INFORMATION
To get a copy of the flyer or for more information or to arrange for a private lesson please go to: http://chicagotango festival. com/SusanaMiller WS or contact
Ray Barbosa at chicagomilonguero@ yahoo.com or at 708-955-6040.