[Save] Climate Campaign Announcements: 2.28.04

Billy Parish billy.parish at yale.edu
Mon Mar 1 12:00:32 EST 2004

Hey Everyone:

We have state media databases, compiled climate
campaign resources and other great
resources/articles/events in upcoming
announcements, but check out this short list:

1. NEW State Listserves on RiseUp (We are not using Yahoogroups anymore)
2. Internship and Evaluation Reminder
3. LOTS of Environmental Fellowships and
Scholarships (New: Brower Youth Awards)
4. New England Climate Calendar
5. Public Debate on Wind Energy at BU

1.  State Listserves on RiseUp
I have added all of you - from the northeast, at
least - to a) your state Climate Campaign
listserve and b) this Climate Campaign announce
listserve, both hosted by RiseUp.  The Climate
Campaign announce listserve will go out 4-8 times
per month (send anything you want in the
newsletter to me), and the state listserves are
open to posting by listserve members.

A few notes/guidelines:
-the email address of each state listserve is:
climatecampaign-[state initials]@lists.riseup.net
-IT IS VERY EASY TO UNSUBSCRIBE.  just send an
email to: climatecampaign-[state
initials]-unsubscribe at lists.riseup.net.  IT IS
ALSO EASY TO SUBSCRIBE people.  All they have to
do is email: climatecampaign-[state
initials]-subscribe at lists.riseup.net.
-DO NOT SPAM the state listserves.  Some of them
have 100+ people on them, who will unsubscribe
and stop reading them if they become too high
density.  Assign individuals to coordinate
collecting specific information (like votes,
dates, attendance at events, etc.)
-Please use them to share ideas, coordinate
events and actions, set up conference calls, etc.
- They are a great resource!

2. Internship and Evaluation Reminder

Internship applications are due THIS MONDAY,
March 1st.  If you want to apply, but can't get
it in that quickly, please let me know.  Interns
will work closely with a climate campaign partner
organizer and with their state energy advocate.
The internship application and the conference evaluation are attached.

3. Fellowships and Scholarships

I sent some of these out before the conference,
but for those of you who are new to the list,
here is a good list of environmentally-related
scholarships and fellowships:

http://www.venturescholar.org/scholarships_biological.html
http://www.wilderness.org/AboutUs/fellowships.cfm
http://www.act.org/goldwater/
http://www.earthisland.org/project/campaignPage.cfm?pageID=137&subSiteID=40&CFID=3242809&CFTOKEN=63297287
http://www.nature.nps.gov/canonscholarships/
http://1890scholars.program.usda.gov/
http://www.surfrider.org/programs/pratte.asp
http://www.mobot.org/CPC/beattie.html
http://www.annies.com/programs/ess.html
http://www.anchorenv.com/scholarship.htm
http://www.elpnet.org/
http://www.awra.org/student/herbert.html
http://www.nwf.org/campusecology/
http://www.marinemammalogy.org/awards.htm
http://www.ota.com/events.html
http://www.agriculture.com/sfonline/projects/sfscholarship/index.html
http://www2.privatei.com/~uscold/scholar.html
http://www.wstar.org/Windstar/Programs/EnviroStudiesScholarship/environmentalstudies.html
http://www.aesf.org/scholarship/scholar.html

2004 BROWER YOUTH AWARDS
Honoring Youth Leadership in Conservation, Preservation and Restoration
CALL FOR ENTRIES
WHAT:   Annual youth leadership program honoring
six outstanding young people from across the
country who are working for environmental
Conservation, Preservation, and Restoration -
what David Brower called  "CPR for the Earth."

Brower Youth Awards National Partner
Organizations: Bioneers (Collective Heritage
Institute) - Center for Environmental Citizenship
(EnviroCitizen) - Earth Force - Free the Planet!
- Green Corps - Kids For A Clean Environment
(Kids FACE) - National Wildlife Federation -
Rainforest Action Network - Roots and Shoots
(Jane Goodall Institute) - Sierra Student
Coalition - Student Conservation Association
(SCA) - Student Environmental Action Coalition
(SEAC) - Student PIRGs - Youth for Environmental
Sanity (YES!) - Yosemite National Institute

2004 Applications Now Available on-line
www.earthisland.org/bya or e-mail
bya at earthisland.org
WHAT DOES IT TAKE TO WIN A BROWER YOUTH AWARD?
Successful applicants will have played the major
leadership role in a project that has produced a
measurable and beneficial environmental impact in
the following areas:
CONSERVATION is work to eliminate or decrease our
use of natural resources and our negative impacts
on ecosystems and communities, for example:  A
project that plays a substantial role in
organizing a local community to pass a public
transportation initiative
PRESERVATION is work to protect ecosystems,
species, indigenous cultures and other
irreplaceable elements of the world's natural
heritage, for
example:  A project that plays a substantial role
in blocking development of Native sacred sites
via ongoing peaceful civil disobedience,
demonstrations, street theater, or other tactics.
RESTORATION is work to re-establish the healthy
functioning of ecosystems; parts of ecosystems;
and human communities that manage ecosystems, for
example:  A project that rallies a community to
clean up a critical section of creek and plants
native species along the banks to create fish
habitat.

Please send me listings & URL's for your college,
environment deptartments, or organizations events
calendar or home page.
Thanks!  Michael Charney, editor:
<mailto:cambclimact at aol.com>cambclimact at aol.com ;
617-492-6614

5. Public Debate on Wind Energy (FREE)
Wednesday, March 10
7:00 – 9:00 PM
GSU Student Union, 775 Commonwealth Ave., Boston University

On Wednesday night, March 10, The Northeast
Sustainable Energy Association (NESEA) will host
a free public event focusing on offshore wind in
New England in conjunction with their Building
Energy 2004 conference and trade show. The recent
controversy surrounding the Cape Wind project
that is planned for off the shore of
Massachusetts has brought into focus the debate
over clean energy in the 21st century. Join some
of the nation's foremost experts on offshore wind
for what we are sure will prove to be an
interesting, enlightening, and informative
evening.

Full details available on the NESEA website at
<http://www.nesea.org/buildings/be/2004public_forum.html>http://www.nesea.org/buildings/be/2004public_forum.html

WANTED: Dedicated friends of the environment to
pound the pavement and post some fliers about the
Wind Energy Debate.  NESEA is willing to provide
a free pass to the Building Energy 2004
conference to anyone willing to post fliers in
prominent places in the Boston area to attract
people to this event.  For more information
contact Jonathan Tauer at NESEA.
<mailto:jtauer at nesea.org>jtauer at nesea.org

bparish at climatecampaign.org
(203) 773 - 4991 (office)