[Save] Dell Webcast Q&A: Get your voice heard -- make your own questions!

Manshi Low mslow at MIT.EDU
Fri Apr 23 15:58:48 EDT 2004

The following is with regards to the Q&A from the organizer, Kara.  Feel
free to give suggestions/comments.  Just a note, we are also getting
outside reporters for the event.

Manshi

The campaign has come up with a potential list of questions that we think
it's important to ask Mr. Dell. Please look them over and see what you
think.  They have been compiled from speaking to students, recyclers,
activists, and policy-makers.  When Mr. Dell opens up the webcast for
questions, we will have some campuses prioritized and in the line-up for
questions---I can make sure MIT is one of these schools so you can get in
an initial question.Please circulate the questions to your group.

FIRST LEVEL PRIORITY
    * Can you describe for us what steps your company undertakes to monitor
your recycling vendorscompliance with your policies of no export of waste
and no use of prison labor? A friend of mine recently purchased a Dell
brand printer, and the mailing label to recycle their old printer was
addressed to a federal prison. Can you describe Dells actions to monitor
the practices of your downstream vendors?
    * We have heard that Dell put a letter of support into the legislative
effort in MN, but failed to do so in Maine. What can we expect from Dell
re: involvement in state policy in 2005? Given that policy interests
between Dell and the Computer campaign seem to be coming closer together,
do you foresee collaborating with the campaign to keep things going in
directions that are better for Dells business model? (Well use this as a
way to measure your seriousness on these issues going forward)
    * Do you see your company taking an active role in promoting e-waste
policy at the federal level you deem desirable, rather than reacting to
proposals akin to CAs SB20 when they arise that undercut your business
model and could emerge in Congress?
    * Would you agree that the campaign which has targeted your company not
only identified important environmental concerns but also created enormous
opportunities for you to re-shape your company, and perhaps through your
company the consumer electronics industry as a whole?
    * I read somewhere recently about an IT industry CEO summit this May in
Washington state; is the e-waste issue part of the agenda, or do you plan
to raise the issue given the apparent strong policy differences within the
industry?
    * Have you coordinated at all with Carly Fiorina of HP to unite the
industry, or to sharpen the policy divisions between your companies and
other companies, like IBM, Panasonic?
    * We are encouraged by this event, and would like to know what other
sorts of investments Dell intends to make in students and youth,
particularly as it relates to environmental concerns; would you consider
establishing a fellowship program for students interested in the studying
the environmental impacts of IT, materials science, etc.?

SECOND LEVEL PRIORITY
    * Dell has embraced the RoHS requirements and worked to move on quicker
timelines for many restricted materials. What other examples can you point
to from the European market that are guiding your direction here in the
U.S. take back systems, collection chain relations, etc.?
    * Your letter to students provided considerably more detail about what
the company is doing in several areas. What other goals have you
established, and how does your current performance rate relative to those
goals?
    * When we started this campaign on campuses, very few of them had ever
heard of Dells Asset Recovery Service. Now, when your company negotiates
purchase contracts with colleges and universities, how do you market your
asset recovery services?
    * A few of Dells recent catalogs have included information on computer
recycling; when can we expect to see a catalog, newspaper ad, or TV ad from
Dell that features computer recycling?
    * Some writers have described Dell as the WalMart of the computer
industry; is that a fair characterization, if so why and if not why not?

THIRD LEVEL PRIORITY
    * Many out-going CEOs envision a legacy to leave behind; have you
thought about what your legacy will be?
    * Among all the items you have received in the mail from students
involved in this campaign, what was your favorite?
    * Do you envision less product intensive future of computing, for
instance rather than selling everyone a machine for their desk, selling
them peripherals, storage space and services?
    * Who are your role models, and who are other CEOs that you look to for
inspiration, direction, etc.?
    * What projects do you plan to prioritize after handing off the CEO
duties this summer?
    * We were disappointed when your company eliminated Steven the Dell
dude a while back; would you consider returning him to future commercials
about computer recycling and a post-ToxicDude era for the company?

Clean Water Action