[Save] Mass Recycles Day update

Jessica Lee jalee at MIT.EDU
Tue Nov 11 21:39:47 EST 2003

Hello SAVE members!
Here are a few changes to the plant handouts schedule (Friday, November 14,
1st floor of the Student Center, in front of LaVerde's):

I can, in fact, set up completely and actually be there at 10:00 to help
Matt and Cathy get started.
Unfortunately, I can't be there in the middle of the day. Can anyone fill
in from 12:30-1:00 or, even better, until 2:00?
Here's a new version of the schedule:

setup 9:30-10:30: Jessica
10:00-11:00: Matt & Cathy
11:00-11:30 or 12:00: Jessica
11:30-12:30: Elizabeth
12:30-1:00: nobody?
1:00-3:00: Jessica
3:00-4:00: Sarah & Steph
4:00 & cleanup: Jessica

To give away plants, here's what you do:
Put some soil in a peat pot.
Ask the visitor to our booth what kind of plant he or she likes.
Cut a sprig from the plant. It should include at least 2 pairs of leaves,
and you should cut the stem just below a leaf.
Dip the end of the stem in rooting hormone, and stick it in the soil.
Give it some water. Hand it to the happy visitor.

Ask people about recycling in their dorms. We'd like to find out which
dorms have good recycling programs, which have really bad ones, and how we
can help. One option we're considering is encouraging the use of
housekeeping staff to collect recycling in every dorm (this happens in some
dorms but not all)-- there's an economic incentive for the house manager to
employ such a policy, because recycling is much cheaper than trash, per pound.

Don't forget to print some posters and post them!

Jessica