[Save] PLEASE Call to demand a stop to Bear Massacres

Jan Outcalt jano at MIT.EDU
Wed Dec 10 14:43:50 EST 2003

There is a protest going on RIGHT NOW in front of the New Jersey
State House.  Hundreds of black bears are being massacred this week,
including mothers leaving orphaned cubs, because the governor and DEP
commissioner are in the pocket of some rich real estate developers.
These greedy death-mongers want to put million dollar homes next to
protected wildlife areas, but how will they sell them with bears in
the area?

I was completely in the dark about this HORRIBLE issue until 2 days
ago--so I am thinking many others may be as well. Best source of info
online is www.savenjbears.com.  There are some good links at the
bottom of the page, including places to write to, NJ media, etc.

   I will paste info about the protest and the issue after this brief
message.  PLEASE call NJ Gov. James McGreevy at 609-292-6000 and NJ
Dept. of Environmental Protection (a real misnomer) Commissioner
Bradley Campbell at 609-292-2885 NOW and call again tomorrow and
Friday.  This massacre goes on all week, until at least 500 bears are
killed.

Here is a very sickening quote from an article in the Star-Ledger
  Matthew Porter, 28, of Butler said he was sitting in the woods in
the Newark watershed, "just having a cup of coffee," when a bear
walked toward him. When the bear was about 100 yards away, he picked
up his gun and "shot it in the lungs."

Complete article is at:
http://www.nj.com/search/index.ssf?/base/news-12/1070951802123020.xml?starledger?ntop

I hope no one feels  they have been spammed.  This is such a
devastating act of hatred and greed, and it must be stopped.
Jan

Info about the protest: