Error in workflow Customizing for document parking (transaction OBWE)

Kjetil Kilhavn list.sap-wug at vettug.no
Sat Oct 20 14:34:23 EDT 2018

The error occurs when determining the subworkflow. There are two
subworkflows, one for account assignment approval (that's the one you
can set in the workflow variant customizing as you have shown), and one
for releasing the document for posting. It's the latter that fails, and
I think it is because you haven't quite understood how this workflow
framework works.

 From your attachment we can see that you have defined a workflow
variant, but have you completed the other customizing (and master data
changes if required)?

The nodes that follow after "Assign Company Code to a Workflow Variant
for Parking Documents" are relevant for the release workflow. So you
have to define (at least) one Release Approval Group, and (at least) one
Release Approval Path, and then you have to assign combinations of
workflow variants, document types and release approval groups to the
release approval paths, and finally you have to assign a release
approval procedure (i.e. define the amount limits for combinations of
workflow variants and release approval paths and the number of release
levels required for amounts up to those limits and assign a subworkflow
for amount release). It's the same view that is used for release for
payment.

And then of course the release approval group you define must be
reflected in vendor/customer master data. I wouldn't recommend using
'blank' as the group - sooner or later a business scenario will come up
where you need to have separate groups. You may for instance want to
distinguish between employee vendors, ordinary vendors and customers -
assuming you don't need the same strict controls for employee vendor
accounts.

It's rather intricate, but extremely flexible, and you can use your own
custom subworkflows - so from a user perspective they don't even have to
know it's a workflow (they could e.g. run a report and have all the
invoices presented there and perform their approval). It is also quite
well documented if you read the node documentation and many fields have
good field documentation (F1 help) as well.

Hint:
Each combination of workflow variant and release approval path (when
assigning the procedure) should have an entry where 'amount to' is
filled with 9s to take care of the highest amounts, and then you add
entries for lower amounts if there is any distinction.

Have fun with the customizing :-)

There is a high initial effort, but once you figure it out and have it
up and running it is quite elegant :-)

Den 17.10.2018 16:44, skreiv Florin Wach (SI):
> Hi Glenn,
>
> I‘d agree with you it‘s customizing.
>
> For FI doc type you need to flag something, that you want a
> preliminary document release.
> Because: Posting should not be possible while the workflow runs.
>
> This is one thing.
>
> The other one is with OBWE and you seem to have made a good guess so I
> didn‘t look more into the details.
>
> Transaction ppome comes secondary   so do not worry at the moment
>

> Florin
>
> Am 17.10.2018 um 16:00 schrieb Glenn Allen <glenn.a.allen at gmail.com
> <mailto:glenn.a.allen at gmail.com>>:
>
>> Good morning WF experts,
>> I am a senior ABAP developer but new to WF.  My current client is
>> getting this error monthly.  After clicking through the various
>> messages, reading SAP help and doing google searches for the issue I
>> have added an entry in OBWE as an experimental solution (which I'll
>> be testing in our sandbox).
>>
>> I am attaching 2 word docs that have screen shots and documentation
>> for the issue (hopefully attachments work here).  Is anyone familiar
>> with this error?  Am I on the right track?  Any advice is greatly
>> appreciated.
>> Thank you,
>> --
>> Glenn Allen
>> Software Architect (specializing in SAP)
>> Excelsior Solutions, LLC
>> 315-453-9132
>> @glenn_a_allen
>> linkedin.com/in/glennallen <http://linkedin.com/in/glennallen>
>> <GL Wflow issue with outlook generating Error message for any park
>> and Post document.docx>
>> <notes.docx>

Kjetil Kilhavn