Dynamic even in a wait step

Mike Pokraka wug at workflowconnections.com
Fri May 8 12:01:46 EDT 2015

Hi all,

I bumped into a limitation in the wait step and was wondering if anyone
had any more elegant workarounds than my klutzy attempts:

What I'd like to do is wait for a dynamic event. It would be easy with a
container element for the event name, but unfortunately the Wait step
complains that "Event &WAITFORTHIS& does not exist" when I try to insert a
container element into the event field of a wait step.

Background:
The WF can be started by a variety of events. Depending on triggering
event, there will be a variety of different events to wait for.

Some approaches I've considered are:
1. A bunch of parallel wait branches and a series of switches to
de/activate them, but that's nasty (20+ events).
2. The start event triggers a second workflow (one for each scenario),
which only waits for the relevant reactors and then signals the main WF
with a secondary event. Ugly.
3. Custom event receiver module in the event linkage table to manipulate
the relevant workflow. Obscure.

I can't help thinking there must be a better way :-)

Any input appreciated,
Mike
(Cross-posted on WUG and SCN)