Workflow Event Trace Leave On or Turn Off

David Cooper davidcooper06 at icloud.com
Wed Mar 5 01:55:50 EST 2014

Hi All,

The following is more a discussion item!

I have read in various texts and heard from several workflow administrators that it is recommended to turn the workflow trace off in production.

Reasons:
1) The trace adds an overhead to the application and database servers, and
2) The trace fills up the event table(s) with data that is not needed over time.

My argument for leaving the trace running, is more for diagnostic reasons when problems occur in production.  It becomes another source for tracking down what happened.  Yes the overhead is a given, but I feel this is justified to capture the diagnostic information.  As for the database table being filled, implement a deletion strategy which purges the data from the table after a period of say 3 ,6, 9, or 12 months.
Kind Regards
David Cooper
Linked-In: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/david-cooper/47/616/36a