Event Raised - WF-BATCH Configured - No Workflow

Edward Diehl edwarddiehl at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 12 17:42:48 EDT 2013

Thanks, James.  Talk about lessons learned!

Ed Diehl
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm."

To: sap-wug at mit.edu
Subject: RE: Event Raised - WF-BATCH Configured - No Workflow
From: JJOHNSON at uk.ibm.com
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2013 21:31:09 +0100

Hi all,

As promised, here's an update - we fixed
the issue. The fix in my instance requires the Basis team to conduct a
number of resolution actions.

Cause of the issue: poor performance
in table access of SWWWIHEAD and SWW_WI2OBJ, ARFCSSTATE,
ARFCSDATA, ARFCRSTATE, TRFCQOUT, TRFCQIN, TRFCQSTATE and TRFCQDATA
tables (the first two being core workflows, the rest being Basis tables).
 A time-out was occuring on the tRFC used to request workflow creation
in the instances where a dialogue process was attempting to be used.  The
process was dialogue (instead of background) as the events/workflows affected
were created under the user's name instead of WF-BATCH.

Fix: One-off rebuild of the index
for SWWWIHEAD and SWW_WI2OBJ, in addition to the update of the statistics
for those tables.  Recommendation to Basis for a daily process to
be instigated going forward, where indexing is rebuilt for the above Basis
tables (due to their rapid expansion and contraction in size, the index
rapidly degenerates).  The affected tRFCs (where events delivery didn't
create the associated workflow) were re-executed by Basis and all workflows
were produced.

Result:  Event delivery
now causes the associated workflow to be produced, in 0.5 seconds compared
to a time-out occuring after 10 minutes.  Happy workflows means happy
James :).

Best Regards,

James Johnson

E-mail:JJohnson at uk.ibm.com