Workflow starts with half instance of object

Kjetil Kilhavn list.sap-wug at vettug.no
Wed Jul 10 05:34:23 EDT 2013

Onsdag 10. juli 2013 08.11.18 skrev Robert van den Berg:
> i have a custom BOR object build with a few virtual paramaters.
>
> When I test the workflow by raising an event, the workflow starts but
> goes in error because a virtual parameter is nog yet instanciated. When
> I refresh the container, the rest of the virtual parameters is
> instanciated and now the workflow can be continued after error.
>
> How can I make sure the workflow only continues when the object is fully
> instanciated?

The general solution is to add a step condition (work item creation) which
checks whether this attribute has a valid value yet. This works regardless of
the length of the delay, and there won't be any additional steps in the
workflow. The delay may be increased though, since the condition check is only
executed every so often (I think the default is every 30 minutes).

I discovered the usefulness of this when one of my solutions failed because
new employees were registered without e-mail address and without SAP user
name, and it would sometimes take days before the e-mail address was
registered - and some employee numbers were not to have SAP users.

Wait steps are so 2005 :-)

--
Kjetil Kilhavn / Vettug AS (http://www.vettug.no)