Form steps and dynamic tasks - has anyone tried it?

Kjetil Kilhavn kjetil.kilhavn at bluec.no
Tue Mar 13 09:39:49 EDT 2012

Tirsdag 13. mars 2012 12.24.43 skrev Mike Pokraka:
> Hi Kjetil,
>
> Just my opinion, but forms are great to get something really simple out
> the door quickly, but the moment you need modifications you end up with
> copies of form steps in forks and all sorts of ugly stuff.
I think that description is quite close to the situation. I'll have to think
about what to do. I've provided an estimate under the assumption that I could
change the existing solution and wouldn't have to rewrite it completely.

Ohhh, the hardship a workflow consultant has to suffer.

> For anything
> beyond the simplest setups I find it easier to whip up a quick function
> module with dialog from scratch and plug that into a method than use those
> dastardly things.
>
> Even easier if you can squeeze what's needed into a call to
> POPUP_GET_VALUES, then you can also make the task descriptions dynamic and
> have the whole thing in one task.
I initially thought I'd be clever about it and create a new ABAP Objects class
which supported the various scenarios, but again ABAP Objects, dynamic
solutions and Business Workflow have proven to mix a bit like oil and water.
It's possible, but takes a lot of effort.

Time to do some hard work: think.