Background tasks and deadlines

Mike Pokraka wug at workflowconnections.com
Fri Feb 3 08:07:19 EST 2012

Persn'ly I'd consider the wrong approach.

Deadlines aren't meant for this level of control. The timing resolution is
a 5 minutes accuracy at best, and background tasks error after 30 minutes
by default (at least last time I looked). If a background task takes that
long it should probably be asynch anyway.

Best off doing this in code - add a timer to whatever the task method does
- e.g. in a loop. Use SELECT ... PACKAGE SIZE nnn to break up a
long-running query - it would even improve DB performance if it means you
can stop a query gracefully whever it takes too long.

Otherwise I suppose one could create a 'Meta method' that submits a task
and monitors it in a WAIT UP TO... loop. Not pretty but an option.

Regards,
Mike