Blank Container Work item issue during upgrade from 4.6C to ECC6

michael.mcley@daimler.com michael.mcley at daimler.com
Mon May 23 10:10:33 EDT 2011

Sandy,

I feel your pain.  We did the 4.6C to ECC6 upgrade back in 2009 and the
majority of problems we encountered post-go-live were with workflow (these
were mostly heavily customized workflows - not SAP provided).

Unfortunately, I never experienced the problem you describe.  Our
containers copied properly, it is just that the workflows didn't, well...,
work.  A friendly piece of advice (if you haven't considered this already)
would be that you test new instances of your workflows AND existing
instances (workflows that are in progress at the time of cutover).  We had
a lot of problems with the agent determination for existing instances, but
the new instances worked OK (or at least failed for other reasons ;-).

But to your problem, if you have already discussed this with your basis
team and have determined that there is no problem with the cut-over
procedure, one thing you may want to look into is contained in Knowledge
Base article 1552169 that describes SAP using a different table to hold
container objects as of basis release 640 - which I think you skipped in
going from 4.6C to ECC6.  The old container tables are SWW_CONT and
SWW_CONTOB and the new container table is SWWCNTP0.  Maybe (and I am way
outside my level of expertise on this one...) the workflow programs are
attempting to read from one table but the data is in another - but that is
pure speculation, take it for what it is worth, which ain't much.

Hopefully some of the real under-the-hood experts in this user group will
have some better advice.

Michael McLey
MBUSI - IT Parts & Administration
Mercedes-Benz US International, Inc.
1 Mercedes Drive
Vance, AL 35490
PHONE:  (205) 462 - 5239
EMAIL:   michael.mcley at daimler.com

sandysydney at gmail.com
Sent by: sap-wug-bounces at mit.edu
05/22/2011 08:26 PM
Please respond to
sap-wug at mit.edu

sap-wug at mit.edu
cc

Subject
Blank Container Work item issue during upgrade from 4.6C to ECC6

Hello Guys,

We are upgrading to ECC 6 from 4.6C and we are on release 701 & support
pack SAPKB70106. We are just 3 weeks away from go- Live.

During one of our recent Trail Cutover activity, we encountered a strange
problem regarding Workflow. After a Client Copy from 4.6C PRD to new ECC 6
system, some of the work items, belonging to a particular task have
“BLANK” Container.  All these Work items belong to a particular task for
which, agent assignment was NOT ACTIVE in 4.6C PRD and client copy was
done without rectifying this error.

As a result, we got few work items in new ECC6 Build system with Blank
container. Moreover, these Work items are appearing in all user inbox. We
cannot view the container and also cannot FORWARD, EXECUTE these work
items. We are getting error message:
1.       “Work item container could not be created “, when executing.
2.       “Cancellation by User”, when forwarding.
3.       “Step identifier not provided” (SWF_PLOG, message 010) followed
by exit, when trying to see the container in WF log.

I couldn’t find any OSS note, SDN and WUG threads on this problem.

Thanks for posting excellent stuff regarding the Workflow Upgrades on this
mailing list. It really helped me in resolving most of my issues.

Thanks in advance

Kind Regards

Sandy

If you are not the intended addressee, please inform us immediately that you have received this e-mail in error, and delete it. We thank you for your cooperation.