performance issue while the user click on the email in MS outlook (extended notifications)

Dart, Jocelyn jocelyn.dart at sap.com
Wed Jun 1 19:00:48 EDT 2011

Hi Srini,
Often this happens in Test systems when the email notification is first configured and there are 10s to 100s of work items in the one mail, and hence the mail itself is huge.

These days on sites we like to do an initial run of extended notifications to generate the emails but dump the first lot of mails - e.g. by temporarily preventing the mail server from delivering them.   After that the delta mails should be smaller and perform reasonably provided you are running your job at reasonable frequencies (at least once a day).
If you are running the SWN_SELSEN program manually or turn off your batch job for extended periods you need to repeat the process.  Often we just doctor the mail server connection so that it is only active when we need it for test  systems (and we usually don't turn it on at all for dev systems).

It's usually not a problem in a production system, unless you are turning on extended notifications after you have been live for some time... in which case the same approach will work, i.e. dump the mails from the first run.

Hope that helps.
Regards,
Jocelyn