Have authority checks disappeared from WAPIs?

Mike Pokraka wug at workflowconnections.com
Tue Jul 26 06:46:14 EDT 2011

G'Day,

I'm not sure if I've just noticed this or if it's been this way for a
while, or if my memory is deceiving me:

One upon a time the WAPIs used to be a formal wrapper for the equivalent
SWF*/SWW* function modules. I think the WAPIs used to do indirect auth
checks via these FM calls, however since the FMs can be overriden (e.g. FM
SWW_WI_ADMIN_CANCEL has a parameter AUTHORIZATION_CHECKED) I am not too
sure and have no 4.6 system handy to check.

Nowadays (ECC6) however, the WAPIs use OO methods internally and as far as
I have been able to establish there are no auth checks carried out - if a
user can execute FM SAP_WAPI_ADM_WORKFLOW_CANCEL by any means then they
can cancel a work item. Unfortunately I haven't been able to conclusively
test this with a user that has SE37 but no workitem admin access, but
debugging shows no auth check.

Could someone verify I've got this right? Has this changed? Am I just
confused?

I'm going to implement my own auth checks anyway, but I am very curious as
it *may* mean that custom code written pre-ECC could have turned into a
security hole post-upgrade.

Regards,
Mike