BPM: Responding to external stimuli

andy.m.catherall@kraftfoods.com andy.m.catherall at kraftfoods.com
Fri Feb 25 13:33:00 EST 2011

Hi guys

Final question (for today, I promise!)

We are developing a process that cuts across a number of ECC systems and also SAP MDM. We are using NW CE 7.2.

I note that the process designs (pools/swim lanes) describe the core processes well. But in my humble opinion, the ones I have seen are lacking a vital feature.

They do not model any responses to external stimuli. For example, what should the workflow do if the data [equivalent of Business Object] is changed or deleted by a non-workflow entity?

I have challenged my colleagues and some consultants on this, and was surprised to discover that

a)      This was a new concept to them. The idea of putting an event-handler in parallel with the main process flow was an entirely novel construct. (Does this indicate that it should be done at the header, as in ECC style workflows?)

b)      The technical practicality of preparing the workflow to respond to events appears to actually be quite complicated. In CE 7.2, we appear to be able to make use of "Intermediate Messages", but there are challenges... A colleague is adamant that we have to make development changes to PI to get some data back to BPM...

In my experience, having workflows that do not respond to the fluctuations in the systems in which they operate causes all sorts of problems. At best, we 'just' have orphaned work items or confused users; at worst, we might be causing subtle data-inaccuracy as we over-write details that were changed by someone else already.

So, my question is:

How have are BPM workflows supposed to be designed to ensure that they are responsive to the environments in which they operate?

Many thanks
Andy

This email (including any attachment) is confidential and may contain privileged information and is intended for the use of the individual(s) to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient or receive it in error, you may not use, distribute, disclose or copy any of the information contained within it and it may be unlawful to do so. If you are not the intended recipient please notify us immediately by returning this email to us at mailerror at cadbury.com<mailto:mailerror at cadbury.com> and destroy all copies.

Any views expressed by individuals within this email do not necessarily reflect the views of Cadbury Holdings Ltd or any of its subsidiaries or affiliates. This email does not constitute a binding offer, acceptance, amendment, waiver or other agreement, or create any obligation whatsoever, unless such intention is clearly stated in the body of the email. Whilst we have taken reasonable steps to ensure that this email and any attachments are free from viruses, recipients are advised to subject this email to their own virus checking, in keeping with good computing practice. We accept no liability for any damage sustained as a result of any viruses. Please note that email received by Cadbury Holdings Ltd or its subsidiaries or affiliates may be monitored in accordance with applicable law.

This email originates from Cadbury Holdings Ltd ("Cadbury") or Cadbury UK ("Cadbury UK") as the case may be.

Cadbury Holdings Ltd: registered in England and Wales, registered no. 52457
Registered office address: Cadbury House, Sanderson Road, Uxbridge, Middlesex, UB8 1DH United Kingdom. Telephone: +44 (0)1895 615000 Fax:+44 (0)1895 615001

Cadbury UK: a partnership of Cadbury UK Ltd, Trebor Bassett Ltd and The Old Leo Company Ltd. Ltd each of which is registered in England and Wales.
Principal trading address: Cadbury House, Sanderson Road, Uxbridge, Middlesex, UB8 1DH United Kingdom. Telephone: +44 (0)1895 615000 Fax:+44 (0)1895 615001