ABAP Objects - Percent of WF'ers using ABAP OO?

Madgambler madgambler at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 21 13:47:37 EST 2011

Mike,

Interestingly that's where we disagree most.

I don't believe it is in a client's interest to ignore any future adjustments of BOR functionality out of hand and branch out with an ABAP OO 'ported' version based on a snapshot of the current standard object.

Unless, that is, they have good reason to assume the BOR object is unlikely to be changed and / or if it did they agree to consider the consequences and overhead of assessing any change and adapt their baseline accordingly.

Granted BOR can hardly be considered as a very active area for development these days, but that being said SAP haven't come out and said they're done with it either.

Also I'm not really convinced you're essentially gaining much by shifting to ABAP OO unless you have very specific requirements with regards to dynamic behaviour that a delegated BOR object can't deliver. Being old school doesn't mean being incapable.

And that for me is SAP's dilemma right there. They needed to introduce OO concepts to support XML container stuff and deal with correlation and abstraction with the advent of XI, now PI, especially to push Netweaver integration.

But after they had achieved that in the ECC 6 upgrade there was little perceived need to replace BOR since it still functions perfectly well for many clients.

And that's where the ambition and drive for change seems to have dried up. At least, from Walldorf anyway.

Having said that, with enough tome, effort and resources I'm sure Workflow and ABAP OO are made for each other. And if enough 'homebrew' stuff is written it might eventually stir someone into action.

We live in hope and press on.

Mike GT

Sent from my iPhone