Navigating to an iView from UWL item instead of launching a new window with the iView?

Dart, Jocelyn jocelyn.dart at sap.com
Tue Dec 20 18:34:02 EST 2011

Hi Amit,
Yes you can, but.... I would STRONGLY recommend you DON'T do this.

Whether or not you launch a new window from the UWL is controlled in the Portal Content Directory settings for the UWL Iview - which means this setting applies for all work items in the inbox.  (Yes you can override that with UWL configuration but that's a lot of work.)

The problem is not all work items have an easily identifiable "Back" option that would get you back to the inbox (no "back" in the browser won't do it). Whereas by launching in a new window you always have the top right hand corner "x" to close the window.

Also if you launch the application in the same window, i.e. replacing the UWL, you can no longer view the text instructions in the preview pane and other information and options (such as add note/memo, add attachment) that you might want to use to complete the work successfully.

Plus many applications need the full real estate of a new window to be displayed adequately... squishing them into the UWL page often degrades usability.

Also by using a separate launch window you can launch multiple work items at a time, which is handy if you want to compare two of them or one of the applications is being slow...

Back in the olden days (many releases ago) we used to default the launch to the same window as the UWL and it was changed precisely because of the reasons above ... launch in a new window is a much better option in practice that covers the behaviour of a wider range of launch applications.

My two cents worth anyway.
Regards,
Jocelyn