Deep Structures in container

Mark Daley mark_daley at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 21 07:09:59 EDT 2011

Hi Paul/Mike

thanks for your replies, sorry for the delay getting back, we've been discussing this internally.

I agree with you both that storing outside of workflow on either SAP or custom tables is the best approach.

Storing the data in SAP Master Data and using statuses is an obvious way to go, but it not an option here for legitimate but annoying reasons I won't go into.
Storing in Z tables, is too complex as it will effectively mean replicating SAP Material Master.

So we're are going to take approach of storing in the deep struc in the container. I've done some anaylysis of SWWCNTP0
I did a simple test with a container with 1 basic element, it takes up approc 1 line (1024 chars). My deep struc unfilled takes up 3,700chars, and filled takes up 10,000chars.

Is this alot of space for a WF container are there any guidlines on this? Or is it all down to system size etc.

I've read that if this table gets too large there could be performance issues, so our intention is that in PRD we'll just have to archive more frequently.

Is this the main potential impact on performance or could there be others associated with passing alot of data between containers?

Would like to hear your experience.

Mark