Deep Structures in container

Paul.Bakker@osr.treasury.qld.gov.au Paul.Bakker at osr.treasury.qld.gov.au
Mon Apr 18 18:06:12 EDT 2011

Mark,

Your approach sounds a lot like the workflow 'forms' concept, where a form
full of data is passed to various users for completion (and approval), and
is then committed to the database. But I think 'forms' can only handle flat
structures.

Generally it is not best practice to pass large amounts of data in a
workflow. Imagine how the container database table would blow out in size,
if the data was replicated for each workitem..!
Instead, pass a unique key to the data.

So in this case, you could store all this to-be-approved Material data in a
custom (nested) database table. The table could have a GUID key, which the
workflow can refer to.

Or.. does Material Management have the concept of a 'parked' material, that
can be stored in standard tables, pending approval?

cheers
Paul Bakker