Background Workflow steps taking many hours to execute

Carolyn A Fuller fuller at MIT.EDU
Mon Nov 15 13:12:03 EST 2010

Mike,

> so, what was the issue? BASIS change? Other non WF change? Sun spots? (I hate sun spots!)

Missed that question.

So far we don't know what caused this problem. We keep careful records of what goes into production and the only thing that went into production the night before the problems began was a custom "configuration" transport that had the effect of increasing the loops a particular workflow template goes through. Prior to this transport the workflow went through 8 loops and after the transport the workflow is going through 9 loops.

The workflow template itself wasn't touched. The loops are dynamically determined by the custom "configuration" table mentioned above.

If this is what caused our problems, I would have expected the delays to be associated with the new loop or, at least, just the workflow template executing the loop. But our delays have been associated with all our workflows including standard SAP iDoc flows. And the steps are always background steps that happen right after a dialog step.

Carolyn