Background Workflow steps taking many hours to execute

Carolyn A Fuller fuller at MIT.EDU
Sat Nov 13 15:41:46 EST 2010

Hi all,

I have just recommended that the Basis team change the schedule to have RSWWERRE run every 20 minutes instead of every 90 minutes. That should help significantly.

But I'm still curious what the underlying error could be. I poured over the workflow logs associated with several "hung" workflows and could not find any indication of any errors. I looked at SWWLOGHIST and there is nothing (see attached PDF for table rows belonging to one problem work item).

Also, I studied the method and walked through the debugger for this particular problem. The method in question checks a custom table to see if the user wants to receive email notification and, if so, sends the email notification and updates a custom log table. But in this particular instance, the user did not want to be notified so no email notification was sent - therefore, no update to the custom log table.

Since there was no table update, I don't see how there could have been a lock encountered and, yet, the step did not complete until the scheduled run of RSWWERRE.

So why?????

The problem workflows hang on different background steps. The only thing these steps have in common is that they are all background steps. But I think the majority of them do involve updates to tables entries that could easily be locked. So I do think locks are most likely the culprits but how do I find out for sure?

Thank you all for your help. It is greatly appreciated.

Carolyn