This Group

Madgambler madgambler at hotmail.com
Tue May 4 17:15:01 EDT 2010

Hi back Rick,

We've started using PI, SOA and more recently CE and I think it's fair
to say that collectively they're a fascinating new way to tackling a
very old set of problems using concepts and software that present
their own unique obstacles. But despite the novelty, the tools being
provided are still too much of a work in progress and quite painful to
use at times.

PI in particular is a nightmare at scale because XML / SOAP is so
verbose and just eats up memory like you wouldn't believe. Also you're
only given half a toy to play with because somehow you're supposed to
come up with your own SOA ABAP Class hierarchy to wrap around your
applications so that PI can speak and hear what it wants. It's so
maddening to work with that sometimes even a simple Bapi call ends up
being wrapped in such complex stuff you'd wish you could write an RFC
wrapper and be done with it. Almost to point where your average
permanent or even contractor needs elite skills just to tinker with it.

CE is proving to be a bit too vague and wooly too. Imagine having to
define your tables, domains, data elements and so on all over again
because the Java stack you're using has no discipline and can't see
the Data Dictionary. It feels like it's only half-done. A potential
modelling tool, itself under development. Yes it can be system-
agnostic by design and you can swap out systems underneath it and it
should still work, but can it really be exposed to Agents? Not really.
And that's an issue because to build a UI just to work with CE seems a
bit pointless really.

And as for the 'dark' Workflow of ccBPM on the PI box I doubt anyone
would want to use it in reality. It's a bit like a curiousity, an
experiment to see if something could be gained for relatively little
development overhead. Has anyone here has really seen it being used
that much at all?

Regards,

Mike GT

Sent from my iPhone