WF_BWP_DYN_COLUMN

Mike Pokraka wug at workflowconnections.com
Mon Jun 21 06:59:28 EDT 2010

Hi Koenraad,

You're vaguely on the right track - it's basically a way of pre-populating
what the inbox would otherwise read for each work item. There's a slide on
it over here:
http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/events?rid=/library/uuid/c6456e89-0a01-0010-0189-a7961fe42034

Dynamic Columns can be very beneficial for selective low-medium volume
workflows. As Mike mentioned, performance deteriorates rapidly with large
numbers of work items. One killer is that users can activate the columns
at the inbox top level. I've thought about disabling this (i.e. the
columns only become available in the "grouped by task" view for a specific
task), but never had the need to dig past the idea stage. Should be doable
as an enhancement.

There's also the business argument of how effective your processes are if
you have too many work items in the inbox at any given time, so you may
have a look at it from that angle as well. Inboxes with more than a couple
of hundred work items is often a sign things could be done more
efficiently.

Cheers,
Mike