Process Controlled Workflows Vs Applicaiton Enabled Workflows in SRM7.0 - An assessment Needed

Praveen johri praveenjohri at gmail.com
Fri Feb 12 08:50:55 EST 2010

G'Day All,

I know its going to be a long mail for Friday afternoon so i apologise in
the begining. I would try to keep you interested till the end :-)

After a while got the chance back to do some workflows again. We are
upgrading from SRM5.0 to SRM7.0

There are these bespoke shopping cart approval workflows developed
previously. I have to do some sort of assessment to include

1) Why would we go for PCWs instead of just migrating the old ones in SRM
7.0 as business is pretty happy with the functionality they have got and are
not interested in revising the workflow processes. Answer :  Application
enabled workflows are in maintainence mode so newer functionality would be
delivered using PCWs.( is there any other justification ? )

2) Would we be able to map the existing workflow process to PCWs, here i
need some pointers. I understand the PCWs are based on BRF though i don't
know much about BRF( updating myself ). The key question i have is, whatever
is there in bespoke workflow templates would i be able to  replicate that
using this i.e. a different technology. Since my exposure to either PCWs or
BRF is not great so as a general rule i am asking, is it possible or are
there any sort of technical limitations on what you can and what you can't
do using PCWs which you could design using a normal workflow template?

I am sure this would be a common analysis which many of you might have done
or are doing if you are involved in an upgrade.

An Interesting Fact : There is no documentation available on existing SRM
5.0 workflows as what differently they have done to standard. The only thing
i know at this stage is they have a bespoke level 1 template which call
different standard templates for n level approval process. The apporval
process( agent determination ) is based purely on custom logic. I am not
that worried about the agent determination as i know i could get that as
rule evaluation in BRF. The crux for me is to understand how BRFcontrols or
connects to workflow templates in this particular case and what permutation
conbinations are possible.

So, i want to have a discussion on this and if possible some insight on all
this new PCWs.

Hope to see some valuable comments.

-Praveen