Workflow "audit" advice needed

yegorm yegorma at gmail.com
Wed Aug 11 16:44:46 EDT 2010

Dear colleagues,

There is a requirement from our customer to create a report that
- for a given period of time
- for a given user (org. unit)
would list all the workitems that were
- (1) received,
- (2) open,
- (3) processed.

(2) and (3) look  like no problem, but (1) really puzzles me!

On one hand, I look at this requirement and it seems reasonable -
sometimes it would be very useful to look back at what arrived to my
personal\my department's 'inbox'.Especially when there are some points
at issue.
On the other hand, I realise that there is  no such information in the
system. You can evaluate the current state of anybody's inbox, but you
can't do this historically. With all those concepts like multiple
possible actors, flexibleactor determination, forwarding, delegation
it is impossible in principle.

My question is - what would be your answer to such request? I believe,
I'm not the only one who's ever received it.

What I think, I should answer as of now is: if it is so critical to
track everybody personally, than we should put away all the
flexibility that SAP Workflow provides and allow only one possible
actor (strictly US otype?), no forwarding, and no delegation. Thus we
get 1 to 1 relationship between possible actor and actual actor. And
the report becomes possible, at a high price.

Thanks in advance,

Best regards,
Egor Malov