Doubt regarding extended notifications

Andy Curtis abcurtis at gmail.com
Sun Feb 15 04:06:08 EST 2009

I read th help and thought roughly the same thing.  But a few days back
Jocelyn highlighted to me that I had interpreted the help incorrectly.  I
now think that the help is refering to using the Notifications Tab in the
UWL.

You can use Extended Notifications to direct users to the WI in the UWL
without any of this RSWNUWLSEL stuff.

Andy

On 2/15/09, Ibrahim Khan <ikhansap at gmail.com> wrote:

>   I have a doubt regarding extended notifications. We are running on ECC
> 6.0 and use UWL for executing the work items. We are using Extended
> notifications for sending a reminder to outlook. I have the following doubts
> regarding this. As per the help documentation
>
> *
> http://help.sap.com/saphelp_erp2005vp/helpdata/en/d5/581ee8d56f1247bf34cfcd66d16d81/frameset.htm
> *
>
> It is mentioned as follows:
> If you want to use extended notifications and the Universal Worklist (UWL)
> at the same time, you need to make the appropriate configuration settings.
>
> Create the Configuration Settings Automatically
>
>        1.      Execute the report RSWNUWLSEL once.The Select Work Items
> screen appears.
>
>        2.      Select Reset Configuration as the mode and FULL Filter as
> the filter.The report selects the work items and creates the configuration
> settings.
>
>        3.      Open the view cluster for configuring notifications (see
> also: Configuring Notifications (View Cluster).
>
>        4.      Choose UWL as the scenario and UWL_STANDARD as the category.
>
>        5.      Define the schedule for the selection (see also: Selection
> Schedule).
>
>        6.      Schedule report SWN_SELSEN to run as usual (see also: Report
> for Selection and Delivery).
>
> Also in the UWL documentation
>
> *
> http://help.sap.com/erp2005_ehp_03/helpdata/EN/eb/101fa0a53244deb955f6f91929e400/content.htm
> *
>
> It is mentioned as follows :
>
> Setup necessary from Business Workflow to enable Delta Pull Mechanism
>
> Some configuration settings are required if you use the UWL and the
> Extended Notifications for SAP Business Workflow.
>
> Define the following two batch jobs:
>
> ●      Background job (for example UWL_DELTA_PULL_1), consisting of a
> single step of ABAP report RSWNUWLSEL in FULL mode, using a report variant.
>
> Run the job once a day.
>
> ●      A background job (for example UWL_DELTA_PULL_2), consisting of a
> single step of ABAP report RSWNUWLSEL in DELTA mode (default mode is delta,
> so report variant is optional).
>
> Run the job every one to three minutes (depending on the performance of the
> back end SAP system).
>
> So its quite confusing for me. If we do the normal settings in swnconfig it
> will send a notification for new workitems in SAP Inbox,which is also
> available in UWL. Then why do we need to do a setting for UWL using the
> report RSWNUWLSEL. Do we need to schedule this report(RSWNUWLSEL) in
> background for delta mechanism? What is the use of this.Please clarify.

Andy Curtis
(m) 07798 603099
(t) 01737 843948
(e) abcurtis at gmail.com