UWL/Workflow Performance Recommendations?

Mike Pokraka wug at workflowconnections.com
Fri Feb 6 14:34:29 EST 2009

Hi Jocelyn,

The one I see most is workflows not completing - i.e. the design doesn't
ensure it finishes, users generate lots of workflows that are abandoned in
an 'in processing' state; or it's set up to send IDOC-tasks to WF-BATCH to
sweep them under the carpet (surprisingly common).

Not sure about UWL impact, but it definitely slows down SBWP and many of the
WF admin transactions (SWI2_*),  because the WI status is indexed and many
of the SELECT's only look at items that are in READY or STARTED. So even if
your user only has 100 items in the SBWP it will still be slow due to the
extra time taken to ignore several million useless items that are still
considered 'active'.

My usual suggestion: If you're not 100% sure a process is going to finish,
put a long deadline on it after which it's definitely obsolete and cancel
the WF.

Cheers,

Mike