Triggering an event based on a custom HR infotype field

Ali Husain mr_mago40 at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 30 10:21:30 EST 2009

Dear WF Experts,

I need to trigger an event based on a specific field in a
custom HR infotype. I need to read a date field from there and do some calculations
to it and if it passes a certain validation in the code I need to trigger a WF.
I thought of scheduling an ABAP program to run in the background once a day to
read the data – do the calculation – trigger the event to start the WF if
needed. However, i’m thinking there might be a better solution which is by monitoring
the infotype field itself from the WF side. The reason being is I want to send
a notification when the event is triggered and then I need to wait for a week
and see if there is action taken and if not I need to trigger another
notification. So if I use the bg job option to trigger the WF I guess I have to
use another background job to monitor what happens after a week. That’s why I’m
thinking it might be better to do something in WF to solve this instead of scheduling
two bg jobs one to trigger the event and one to monitor. Is there a better more
efficient solution to do this? How would i link that check to a specific HR infotype field if that's the better option?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Ali