Start Condition related to upgrade ECC 6

Mike Gambier madgambler at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 24 07:14:18 EDT 2008

Stefaan,

This might related to a bug I found with condition binding in ECC 6 that's to do the 'new' syntax added for unicode conversion in SWD_CONDEF table (see OSS Note 1228836).

ECC 6 expects extra piece of syntax in the LEFTEXPR or RIGHTEXPR fields along the lines of {TYPE = ... } so that the expression can be understood in unicode terms but unfortunately the upgrade process from old 4.6c Workflows to new ECC Workflows does not account for this at all (and never will). This caused us no end of grief with condition steps trying to compare a date attribute on a BOR Instance and a constant string value, e.g. '31.12.9999'. Without this new syntax the condition becomes invalid nt he way that you have described.

Thankfully I found a neat little trick to get around this without too much fuss. If you go into the WF definition, click on the binding, change nothing but hit the green tick in the binding screen the WF Builder adds the missing {TYPE=...} syntax in SWD_CONDEF but doesn't tell you. The current definition may pick this up at the moment as a syntax error before you do this. If this syntax error goes away by performing this little trick then I think you will have solved your issue :)

Try it out and see if it works. If it does, you should probably activate the WF definition again and transport it. Note that this change is version dependent so it won't have effect on running instances of older versions.

Regards,

Mike GT

Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 12:43:01 +0200From: stefaan.vermeulen at gmail.comTo: SAP-WUG at mit.eduSubject: Start Condition related to upgrade ECC 6
Hi,

While testing in a new upgraded development from 46c to ECC6 I encountered the following.
A WF related to BUS2007 Maintenance orders gives every time an exception "Operator 'EQ': The value of the left operand cannot be determined"
in the event trace and doesn't get triggered.

The condition is: &Maintenance order.PM planning plant& = BEP1

Nothing was changed to the workflow, BO ZBUS2007 , delegation or event linkage, everything is still active and error free.
In the old development it still works.

The checks I have done:
-Deleted to condition and recreated this, same problem.
-I saw that FM : SWB_2_CHECK_FB_START_COND_EVAL is used in SWB_COND(ECC6), I replaced this by the old FM SWB_CHECK_FB_START_COND_EVAL, same problem.
-I created new test-wf's and used the same and even other fields to check before triggering, the same problem.

I didn't found a related problem in the archives, any suggestions ?

Thanks,
Stefaan.